Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Neck Adjustment!

As you can tell from my last post, I was a little frustrated today. Some of the things going through my head have been:

  • Monica has been having her wisdom teeth coming in for the past three months and we haven't been able to pay to have it done.
  • Biochem and all that drama
  • Am I ever going to be that successful chiropractor? It seems so far away sometimes and out of reach.
  • Tons of memorization with these classes. I am finally learning all new information in my classes and can't rely on what I learned in undergrad.
However, I had something to look forward to today. Matt Alexander asked if I wanted to come over on Wednesdays to practice our technique. He finally got a table and since he is 5 quarters ahead of me I was thrilled that he even offered. We talked a lot about chiropractic which helped me get reconnected to why I wanted to be one in the first place, but then we started on adjusting. I was so excited because he wanted to tackle the cervicals.

He showed me some things, but then he had me try. I got so nervous. I started to sweat and I could feel a slight tremble in my hands. "Come on James," I told myself, "you can do this. Be confident." I was able to correctly find his subluxation after a few moments. Then came the scary part. He actually trusted me to thrust on his neck. I couldn't believe that he would even allow me since I had never done it before.

I tried once. "Not enough speed and power, try again." He wanted me to try again after crinking his neck?! If I was nervous before, I certainly was now. I got in position and tried again. "Almost, you just about had it. Try again," he said understandingly.

How could he trust me to do this?! We are talking about his neck here! Sweat beading off my forehead, I tried one more time. Unfortunately I had backed off way too much and was even worse than my first try. For some reason he said that I could go again!

You've got to be kidding me! I have already tried three times. There's no way. He insisted and I willingly obeyed. He helped me setup again. "Come one James. You have this. You can do it. I know you can. Power and speed. You have it in you. Don't hold back." I thrusted and within an instant I could feel the difference. Movement and energy went into his joints and I could feel the excitement of landing a perfect adjustment.

"You did it!" He yelled with excitement. My first adjustment! I could barely believe that I was able to do it. I can feel the confidence come back into my body knowing that this is real and very possible. Thank you Matt. You have no idea how much I needed that adjustment.

9 comments:

  1. I love you!! I'm so glad you were able to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so excited for you. Will needs an adjustment. Can I send him over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ay! Atta boy! Now, come over here and work on my neck. So what if we're nearly 1000 miles away!

    Anyway, sounds like your on the road to success.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome James! There certainly is a large amount of trust going on between patient and dr. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're awesome James and I know you'll make a great chiropractor! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. James you are awesome. I'm so glad you had such a good friend to guide you through the first time and to help you see that you can have confidence in your abilities. now they will just continue to grow and become even better! You are so awesome. I love you. Keep up the good work bro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys. It's so nice knowing that I have my family behind me. It'll be nice to be able to repay the help and support :) It really is incredible to know that I am learning more than just how to move bones, but how to interact with the nervous system. I am going to be shadowing some docs soon and hope that'll help me know what to say. Almost wish there were lessons that I could memorize like in the mission ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for James! I know you were IMing me, but I bet you figured out that Blake was responding. ;) I'm really glad you are finding out that you really can do everything that you are learning. That's what I have had to tackle through with Micro. It's really advanced stuff and I have to internalize everything! It's hard, but once I apply what I have learned, it makes a big difference! Keep up the good work! "You can do it! (in a weird James voice that you randomly come up with)"

    ReplyDelete