Friday, July 29, 2011

Student Clinic 1

It has begun! This quarter was the beginning of my clinic experience. We start out with just one patient called your reciprical. They are you reciprical because they are your peer and they are your doctor also. What has been fun is that typically it's a race to see who can get to CMR (Case Management Review) the fastest because then you are finished with the class and you'll be able to start adjusting at that point.

Typically it takes 4-5 weeks to accomplish this if you are dedicated, however I was able to set the record by doing it by week 3 on Thursday! :) YAHOO!! I was able to start adjusting on week 4 on Wednesday and again today on Friday.

I had tons of mixed feelings as I was not only excited to start, I was also filled with anxiety because this was my first time doing this. I made a diagnosis on someone. That's a big deal! People really like to know what their diagnosis is and it has legal ramifications. Not only that, but there is a ton of paper work that is always demanded of you.

I have seen other interns go up to a doctor and get reamed because they forgot a number or name. Something so simple, yet so important. I hate making mistakes, so I triple check to make sure that I have everything in order before I go up to them. So far they haven't chastised me :)

The other thing that has amazed me is the amount of time that it takes for people to get in and adjust. I have been adjusted multiple times in the health center and it has taken usually an hour to be done. Both times I was able to be done within 20 min. That to me is just incredible.

The really neat thing that is the most important is that my patient has been adjusted by me since the start of our adjusting classes. I have almost never done a good adjustment on him. Today I did a droptable adjustment on his low back - something that has hurt him for a long time and I have never been able to adjust it. It has been a 8/10 pain typically everyday for almost a year. Today he got relief. One adjustment and he felt instant relief. Talk about the best feeling in the world. Knowing that even with my novice hands, I was able to make a positive difference on someone.

I hope that this feeling continues and I start to adjust other people and especially outpatients.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've found the feeling of satisfaction in helping people. It's nice when you can feel like all the work you've gone through to learn this stuff is actually helping someone. Oh, and thanks for yesterday!

    ReplyDelete