Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First Week

Well the past couple of days have been crazy. Yesterday they had an orientation for all us freshmen and while it was pretty boring as far as the speakers it was informative. It was sad though because there was only one other married person there, yet she wasn’t living with him while going to school. Another guy named Ric is at least engaged, yet he is about 40! Kind of crazy.
I have to admit that when Monica and I got home, it started to dawn on me how hard this was going to get. It was at that point that I realized what a sacrifice this was going to be on Monica. I had never really thought of it before like that. I had always thought that it was just expected and nothing really challenging for her to do. But now I realize that she’ll sacrifice just as much if not more than I will be doing for the next three years. I also realized that at that point, how much I really loved her and that she was irreplaceable.
Today though was another crazy day. The teachers talked and talked about being on time and how to study. We were all bored. We did have a couple of fun things happen though. We were in a commercial for Life West. It was pretty cheesy, but just neat to be in a commercial. Sadly the teacher didn’t know that we were leaving from class to do this and she got mad and wanted everyone else to know about it. All the commercial was us listening to an advisor talk. There was no audio though so it really didn’t matter what she was saying, so I asked a question, “Why is that highlighted in Green?” I thought that it was funny, but everyone else asked real questions about financial aid… oh well .
The other thing that was nice was that we had a little thing about how much we’ll have to pay back in financial aid… it wasn’t pretty. However they did give us pizza and since I knew the people presenting, they gave me a whole pizza to take home!
The last class was Palpation. It looks like it’ll be a great class, even though I’ll have to be taking off my shirt! We are going to be learning how to palpate others and learn the landmarks of the back. I am excited that we’ll be able to learn right away about something kinetic. We had to practice being doctors while another student was a patient. At first we couldn’t stop laughing, but then we were able to calm down and be professional.
After all the classes and such I went to get some books and then went to admissions to relax and get internet so I could email everyone a list of our names, phone numbers, and email addresses. I couldn’t connect to the internet for some reason, so I talked with Nika for a bit. She gave me the down low on what the students do as a network. They have a website were once you are invited, you are able to see all the class notes, past tests and other useful information. I was so excited to get it since it’ll lower the cost of books and time in studying.
I then was able to come home to a wonderful wife who loves me and I love her. She is so dear to me. I only have a seminar tomorrow so I’ll be able to study a bit and then be with my wife! (Monica did so much today! Holy cow! Cut the lawn, paid the rent, talked with neighbors, cooked dinner, and so much more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment